Enhanced energy management services. Made possible by energy storage.
The relationship between utilities and their commercial & industrial (C&I) customers is rapidly changing: C&I enterprises are becoming electricity producers as well as consumers, and profit from actively managing the shape and timing of their energy use. Distributed energy storage is empowering next-generation energy storage-based services on both sides of the electricity meter: reducing energy costs and increasing resiliency for C&I enterprises, while improving efficiency, predictability, and dispatch-ability of distributed assets for utilities that serve them.
BENEFITS OF DISTRIBUTED ENERGY STORAGE
Reduces energy costs – Distributed energy storage can enable more economic energy and power consumption
• 50% or more of electricity costs may come from utility demand charges
• Demand charges are typically determined by the peak electricity consumption rate (“peak power demand”), not the total amount of electricity consumed.
• Reducing demand peaks can result in major energy cost savings
• AEROS® Controls offer a sophisticated demand charge management operating mode leveraging tariff-aware predictive analytics to maximize the achievable economic savings
Enhances energy generation – Distributed energy storage can enhance local energy generation, such as that from C&I solar PV deployments.
• Increasing the opportunity for self-consumption by time-shifting of energy/load
• Firming and smoothing intermittent generation output
• Deeper cost savings by addressing demand peaks made easier to reduce by PV generation
• Simplifying the local utility interconnect requirements, in some scenarios
Energy Security – Distributed energy storage can minimize the impacts of weak grid power
• Distributed energy storage is capable of renewable generation capacity firming and smoothing
• Provide back-up power if grid power is lost
• Enable distributed renewable generation like solar PV to operate during an outage
Distributed Grid Services – Distributed energy storage can provide system-level grid services from the edge of the grid, including:
• Distributed ancillary services, including frequency response and frequency regulation for balancing the grid
• Local grid congestion relief and infrastructure upgrade deferral
• Voltage/VAR support
• Distributed generation capacity firming and ramp management
True Energy Independence – Distributed energy storage integration with off-grid and microgrid power systems enables delivery of many of the same services outlined above for true energy independence and unparalleled resiliency.
Introducing The DSS®
NEC Energy Solutions has developed the DSS® platform to support advanced service creation at the grid edge, whether in front or behind the meter, for C&I enterprises and distribution utilities. It is a scaleable, smart, simple, compact, safe, cost-effective distributed energy storage solution.
For C&I Customers
|Energy Cost Optimization||Energy Resiliency|
For Distribution Utilities
|Efficient Utilization||Distributed Asset Control|